Monday, June 11, 2007

what I watched on Sunday

We watched Pan's Labyrinth yesterday with Mike. I enjoyed it, but not so much that I understand all the rave reviews. I liked the look of the whole thing, and I thought the story was very interesting and original. But it was kinda slow moving, and the Captain character was really hateful. (I know, that's the point, but still.) The ending was pretty depressing too. I'm glad I watched it though.

I watched the Tonys last night too. You'd think being in theatre, that this would be an important broadcast for me to watch. You'd be incorrect. I don't know who 90% of the people on the stage were, and didn't see any of the plays. I fast forwarded through a lot, because I just didn't care what they were saying. At least when you watch the Oscars, you had a chance to see the nominated movies. (Even though I rarely see any of the Best Picture nominees.) You'd have to spend a LOT of money and effort to see even a few of the Tony nominated plays. It's a weird thing that Broadway shows, the supposed center of the theatre universe, are COMPLETELY inaccessible to the majority of Americans. Why even bother watching the Tonys?

2 comments:

macaela said...

Here! Here! I totally skipped the Tony's this year, I found out a number of people I know would be in the award show performing, and that was just too depressing.

Heather K said...

I watched the Tony's. I bought the Spring Awakening album off itunes. It is in the top 10, so some people watch it.