Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Wiki- wiki, where'd the time go?

The other night Donald and I were watching a thing about the Blue Man Group on PBS. (Let it be said that you should attend a performance if you have the chance, because it was very entertaining.) They do all kinds of percussion with weird instruments like these big plastic tubes, and the creator guys were talking about sonic influences and they mentioned the Moog synthesizer, which Donald hadn't heard of. I read an article about Moog and his weird noises a couple of years ago, so I went to Wikipedia to recap. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moog_synthesizer. Then I read (not necessarily in this order) about Robert Moog, and Abbey Road, and the "Paul is Dead" phenomenon- which was particularly interesting, and I was able to listen to a clip of Revolution 9 backwards, which is creepy. Then I read about Pink Floyd, and listened to a bunch of clips, then The Dark Side of The Moon, where I read about the way they recorded and cut together a lot of non-music sounds to create this fantastic album; and Super Audio CDs and Wish You Were Here. Also, David Bowie, and Baba O'Riley, which is performed in the Blue Man rock show. Then it was about 2 hours later. The moral of the story is Wikipedia will suck up your life, in an entertaining manner filled with odd trivia.

Edit: Moral # 2 is that awesome music has been made using a Moog Synthesizer. I didn't want to forget that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My friend Cam is thiiiiiisss close to being in the Blue man group. He has to get better drum skills.