Thursday, January 12, 2006

I've spent the week so far running back and forth around town for 1 hour meetings. I think it's more than a little stupid that I've driven downtown 3 times already, and then back home again after an hour. And I'll be doing it 3 more times. It's not the downtown that bugs me, it's the short time.

Monday I went to a dance rehearsal of limited usefulness, where only 3 of the 4 dancers were there and they spent the first half hour warming up. I asked if there would be a rehearsal where I could see all of them, and I was told sure! They were having another tomorrow at 1:30. I showed up at 1:45, because warm-ups aren't very exciting. They weren't warming up, they were teaching the 4th guy the dance, and they stopped for lunch at 2. What the hell people, this group is AWESOME at wasting my time. It was the same way last summer, when they'd need me to see a rehearsal that lasted only 15 minutes. And for that, I drove all the way downtown and put 2 hours worth of quarters in the meter. It's just such an inefficent use of time. If they'd told me that they were only rehearsing for half an hour, I'd have asked to see it another damn day. I still haven't seen the whole piece, and I'm thinking that I won't until the damn fool performance!

All at the same time I've been having lots of email coversations about the Trial, which we hang Sunday, on my birthday. We have a plan to get donuts on the way to work. :) We're trying to coordinate the moving of equipment, scheduling, all the usual stuff. It's at Union Station, which adds 3 more pain-in-the-ass steps to everything for a number of reasons. It's not our space, so we have to try to plan ahead to bring everything we need. We have to play fun and games with security passes on half the doors. And to cap it all off, I'm not sure some of the equipment will work.

Tonight I get to see the Trial rehearsal for the first time. I'm looking forward to it so I know what's going on, but dreading it because I'm concerned that they'll have moved everything somewhere I can't light it. Tomorrow and Saturday morning I will work for dollars at the Rep, but I have to leave early both days to drive downtown for this dance thing. I feel bad when I do that, even though I'm sure there will be enough people there.

No comments: