Thursday, August 17, 2006

Children's books

The other day we were talking about books we read when we were kids. Here are a couple of my favorites:

Beany, by Jane Feder. The story is just about a boy and how his cat is his friend. The illustrations are great. There was a copy of this book at my grandparent's house, and I must have made my grandpa read it to me a hundred times.



Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. Everything goes wrong for this kid. I got a little paperback copy of this from a box of Cheerios a couple years ago!



Each Peach Pear Plum
. First book I learned to read, because I pretty much memorized the whole thing.
"Each Peach Pear Plum. I spy Tom Thumb!" In this engaging, interactive book for the very young, familiar nursery-rhyme characters such as Mother Hubbard and Baby Bunting sneak their way into the gentle drawings. Even young children who might not know all the fairy-tale stars can find them lurking in the cupboard, on the stairs, or deep in the woods."



Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.
"
If food dropped like rain from the sky, wouldn't it be marvelous! Or would it? It could, after all, be messy. And you'd have no choice. What if you didn't like what fell? Or what if too much came? Have you ever thought of what it might be like to be squashed flat by a pancake?
Life is delicious in the town of Chewandswallow where it rains soup and juice, snows mashed potatoes, and blows storms of hamburgers--until the weather takes a turn for the worse. "



Harold and the Purple Crayon: "One evening Harold decided to go for a walk in the moonlight. But there was no moon, and Harold needed a moon for a walk in the moonlight. Fortunately, Harold had his purple crayon. So he drew a moon. He also needed something to walk on. So he drew a path . . . And thus begins one of the most imaginative and enchanting adventures in children's books."



Who doesn't love Where the Wild Things Are?



and The Very Hungry Caterpillar




You people do realize that when you have kids, Donald and I will be giving them books.

2 comments:

Jim said...

I don't think I read any of those books. I don't actually remember what I read as a kid. Tolstoy?

I did read Satch and the Motormouth. (Believe it or not, I can't find a page that gives an adequate description of the book.) It's about a kid. I think he could move fast at times. Anyway, I remember reading it over a family vacation.

I also read Superfolks as a kid. It is a mature look at superheroes referenced by Kurt Busiek in the introduction to the first Astro City collection. It's got tights and incest and homosexuals. It's really not a perverted book. How could it be? My mom got it for me.

Heather K said...

I loved Alexander, Harold, all Maurice Sendak, and the Big Hungry Caterpillar. I also was a huge fan of a Grover book called "There Is a Monster Hiding At the End of This Book." Plus "The Napping House," "Are You My Mother?" "Can I Keep Him?" and "Leo the Late Bloomer." Leo is actually a sort of guidebook for life. It is still relevant for me.