Yesterday and Wednesday we worked 4pm -1am on the dino monstrosity. It was slightly less ridiculous this time, but mostly because I was just doing physically easier work. As usual, we stood around doing nothing for 2 hours when we got there Wednesday. I spent most of the day with a screwdriver and a pile of red, orange and yellow dichroics perched on top that aforementioned wall. This time I was putting color in the stupid little lights, and focusing more of them. When I got done with that, I used the very same screwdriver to open up and install more dichroic color in little wall mounted architectural lights. Later, we unpacked a couple dozen gobo rotators and filled them with steel and dichroic templates.
Yesterday one thing I did was place waterproof lights in the pond. (It wasn't filled yet) They had numbers written on them, and I had a drawing telling me where to put each number. A more challenging job came with putting color and glass diffusion in the lights mounted in the ceiling of the ice room. There were supposed to be access panels to get in there, but the panels were short on access, and sharp. The whole room is covered in plexi, with tiny plastic "ice chips" glued all over it. They are quite sharp! The people doing the gluing were working at the same time, so I got glue on me which was fun too. Their process included one person applying glue with a paint roller, and a second person flinging handfuls of loose chips at the wall. Those damn chips kept getting stuck in my shoes. :P Later, more dichroics were installed in lights in the dino displays. I finished the day in a scissor lift "focusing" track lighting on the build-a-bear build-a-dino advertisement wall.
Someone yesterday speculated that the restaurant cost about $15,000. ((Correction! 15 million.)) Holy crap. I took pictures, so let me know if you want to see them.
If that doesn't sound like a lot of work for 18 hours, it isn't. Some jobs were time consuming, but a lot of time was wasted waitng for the designer guy to tell us what to do.
Friday, July 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
hey, but you got paid for all of it.
Hey, randomness of random--my roommate works at the Rainforst Cafe here in Chicago (owned by the same people as dino land) and one of her best friends is a national trainer and will be in KC to train all the people who are going to work at that dino monstrosity. She was talking about how her friend was leaving for KC to open a new concept place called T-Rex, and I thought of you. And then I told her some of your stories.
Ha! Small world.
I like pictures. Pictures, please :)
Post a Comment